Well, the first two times that we got online were mere chance. This time we had to go hunting for an internet cafe. Found one! It's so nice to read everyone's comments, so please keep it up. It's nice to know that we are missed and that people are praying for us. Many thanks.
Okay, so the latest news for across the pond. It seems that we spend most all of our time in taxis. We take a taxi from our apartment to various errands and stop to the orphanage for time with Cole (more on him later). Then we head our for more errands and more errands and stop at the orphanage in late afternoon for more time with Cole. It seems that most of my time is spent riding in a taxi or paying for a taxi. The good thing is that we can ride for quite a long time here and the charge is minimal. We spent literally a couple hours in a taxi and it was 47 grivnas. The exchange rate is 1 to 5, so the cost was about $9.00. Not bad! Our lunch today was 95 grivnas, which seemed high, until I mentally converted and realized that it was less than $20.00! We've eaten at McDonalds a few times just b/c it's one of the few places open for breakfast. Of course they don't have breakfast food at all, so we get burgers and fries. Nice!
Our translator, Natasha (also Natalia, they're interchangeable), is absolutely awesome. We got almost all of our paperwork here for the local court done in two days. The packet was sent to Kiev on Friday and will hopefully be processed on Monday. Pray for that. Our official court appearance is December 25th. With the time change (we're 7 hours ahead) you all can pray for us on Christmas Eve. While you're praying for a positive decision by the judge, please throw in a prayer for the waiting period to be waived. God will take care of the rest.
Now more about Cole. Our awesome boy's name is actually Mykola (the Ukrainian derivative of Nicolai). So we talked about possibilities of Michael or Nicholas. Everyone at the orphanage, though, calls him Kola. It sounds very cool the way that they say it, nothing like the soft drink. We can't seem to get our mouths to make the sound. Anyway, we've decided to name him Cole b/c that's pretty darn close to what he's used to being called. His middle name will be Michael as a tribute to his full given name. So, we've got Cole Michael to love. He's awesome. He calls us Mama and Papa and has a great deep laugh. Of course he also has quite a cry. It's taken him some time to get used to us at times just b/c it's out of his routine. They keep him very structured, but it seems that his caregiver has truly loved him. His voice is a bit low. He's blond with blue eyes and is very much a boy. He loves playing with trucks and cars and is intrigued with putting objects inside of other objects. He'll love the tupperware shapes toy that we have at home! We're not allowed yet to put his picture on here b/c we don't have court approval, but as soon as we're allowed we'll add it. For those of you in Findlay and connected with St. Paul's, picture him as a little Jacob Barger with a rolly polly belly. Very good looking boy, just like papa! :-)
Emma doesn't always like the attention that we lavish on Cole while visiting with him, but we're trying to involve her in the visits as a big sister. She likes Cole but doesn't necessarily like not getting all the attention, which is understandable after four years of ruling the roost. We'll get there.
New Year's is coming up. That's the big holiday here. They will celebrate Christmas on January 7th. There are statues of Lenin everywhere. There are also advertisements for Marlboro, Nike, and other American brands. The driving is chaotic, but there's a rhythm and order to the chaos. In spite of all of the craziness, we've only seen one accident so far. They're very good drivers, they just don't pay attention to the lines, lanes, signs, or pedestrians. :-)
That's all for now, unless Lori reads this and needs to add something.
Saturday, December 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

18 comments:
Okay, it's Lori! I figure this is as good a way as any to add my two cents, and it's nice to be able to just be here at a computer and not have to hurry. I think most of the hurrying is done, at this point. The stress for today was finding an apartment. The goal was to be in an apartment with Natalia because it would be cheaper, but we're currently in a reallyreally great one, and what was available for the next several weeks just really were not all that great. So we decided to stay put. It's a small one room but at least *** hotel quality--maybe even ****! Hard to find around here. So Natalia will stay in her own apartment. It will allow all of us more privacy anyway, and the whole point was price, but we decided that it's really not that much more to stay like this than if we'd been in one apartment together, and this will make the stay just that much more enjoyable.
Natalia is amazing! It was so overwhelming stepping off the plane and being in a land where you just can't understand a thing. Yuri, our facilitator, helped us out the first couple of days, but Natalia, who we met when we got on the train that night, is absolutely amazing. She got all our stuff done in two days time--chaotic, but done, and so that things get in before holiday chaos. That's good news!
Emma is such a trooper. We brought an amazing goody bag along, full of hours of "activities," as she calls it--compliments of MANY of you. Thank you all!!!! She was quite upset the first day when we had to leave Kola, and we had to explain that we'd be back every day to see him till we could take him home. Then she felt better.
We finally had some local food that was really great today. We also met a family who have two young boys around Emma's age and they got here three days before we did, so we'll have them around throughout most of this process. That will also be nice. They're from Raleigh.
Because Donetzk is in the eastern part of Ukraine, they mostly speak Russian here, although most everyone would also speak Ukrainian, but there is a strong Russian influence from the past because 1) it's so close to Russia, and 2) it's one of the main economic centers, if not THE economic center, of Ukraine. So Cole speaks Russian. Pretty cute. Spa si ba is thank you. Don't know if that's spelled right, since I just translated it to our alphabet, but it sounds pretty cute coming out of his mouth, and it's a word we all learned pretty quickly as well.
Okay, I'm sure this is the longest comment ever, so I'll quit hogging the comment box and save some for later. Vas vidanya! (Good bye.)
How exciting! The more we read, the more we can't wait for you to come home! Cole sounds like an amazing little boy and I am not surprised at all the Emma has been a trooper, I am sure she is fitting into her new role as big sister just fine!
We continue to pray for you and it so nice to have an actual name for those prayers as well!
Bless you Lori! You answered my question about the language barrier. That is going to be interesting to say the least. We love you all very much. Be careful and have a great loving time with little Cole. I love that name :-)))
Grammy & Grampie
Bless you Lori! You answered my question about the language barrier. That is going to be interesting to say the least. We love you all very much. Be careful and have a great loving time with little Cole. I love that name :-)))
Grammy & Grampie
How wonderful to read about your adoption journey and Cole!We're praying for you all!
LuAnn and Gary
I just can't stop the tears of joy from coming every time I read an update. God is so good. Don't you just feel His arms around you ALL??? We can't wait to meet Cole. Do you know his sizes -- we're dying to go shopping!!!
Love you lots,
Marnie
Lori, Trevor, Emma , and Cole!!! I am beyond excited for you. This is definatly your family's Christmas miracle. Tell Emma that is sometimes hard being a big sister, but it is so much fun! Tell her she will be a great big sister, and that I totally can't wait to see her soon to play fun dressup games with! I love you guys! We will be praying for you!
oh, what size is he???
Libby
Waiting is so hard, but so worth the angst, isn't it?!!!! You waited with patience, frustration, anxiety and peace. The fruits of your labor are in front of you know. You know it! Libby just pointed out that you have been waiting for almost as long as Cole has been alive! So, even though he doesn't understand, he has been waiting too, for you and just you!
We are so happy for you all! What a Christmas Gift for you and Cole. A truer gift you could never imagine on Christmas, could you? How can you unwrap that one!!!?
I have goose bumps and happy tears as I write. We all look forward to hearing your news and learning of your new little boy!!! How fun is that to say?!!!!
Hi to Emma!!!!! Love, Carol
It was wonderful to hear from you! It sounds like everything is going well i'm still praying for your court date. I can't wait to meet cole!
WOW! I am so happy for you and extremely moved... I can't even imagine the range of emotions you feel and the depth of emotion you feel right now.
I can't wait to meet him and I can't wait to get to know him. Please tell Emma we (including Reece) say hello and that we're really excited to see her as Cole's big sister. (I love that name!)
We are continually praying for you and for the process to move quickly. God is good - and He does what He says He's going to do!
Love you all!
Andrea
Hey Lori, Trevor, Emma
It is so awesome to hear the the great news about your child. I love the name Cole. It is going to be a great christmas for you. Hope you have fun time with Cole and can't wait to see him.I keep praying for you and your safe for your journey. Miss you all...
Lan
hey emma hope you are having fun and it is going to be fun to be a big sister.
Ok, not to steal Carol's line, but we too had goosebumps and tears of joy (yes, even Kristen had tears) when reading about your little boy, Cole! We cannot wait to meet him! What an amazing blessing you have received from God as a result of being so patient!
We will continue to pray for your family and for a speedy return home so we can all meet your son!
I really can't add anything that hasn't been said already. My eyes apparently grew allergic to the computer because they got all puffy while reading your posting...dude, we're all thrilled for you guys!
Reece and Silbup miss you too. We drove up to Journey last night and Reece said 'church' which is nothing new, but when we asked him who was at church he said 'Terwur and ball.' Sorry Lori and Cole...we're working on it!
Miss you, be safe, praying for you...
One more thing from Marnie -- Trevor, you'll want to know that Mount Union won the Stagg again yesterday. :-) We tivo'd it for you.
Love ya!
Have a Great Day! Decorating the tree and trying to finish writting cards. I'm waaaay behind these days. Love You All, D & S
We can really imagine what that sweet little boy looks like!!! Jacob is trying to think of the rolly polly tummy thing but being his Mom I have it all pictured. So glad things are moving along and can't wait to meet him because I am sure his "older look alike" has some tricks to teach him!! Love you all..we keep praying.
LOVE, Lydia
Emma,
I really miss you and I can't wait to see you. My daddy printed out the picture of Cole. He is so cute. I show him to everybody I see. I am praying for you and Cole. And your mommy and daddy. So are my mommy and daddy. I can't wait to meet your brother. I hope he and Zach are friends. I will tell Zach to be nice. My mommy is typing this but I typed your name and I am going to type my name. I love you Emma. And I love Cole. I can't wait to see you. And Cole.
Love, Kaitie
Post a Comment