Monday, December 18, 2006

Waiting...

This is Lori. I just want to start by saying that we can't even tell you how much your comments help us. Today is a full week that we've been here, and we're starting to feel it. We're still not completely adjusted to the time change yet (we tend to be fully awake often between 2-4 am), and just everything is different. So to know that you're thinking of us, and to hear familiar "voices" by computer really just brings us smiles and the extra lift we need to keep chugging away in this somewhat lonely place. We're realizing it's going to be a long month.

So what are we doing these days? We go each morning and spend 1-2 hours playing with Cole, have lunch and rest in the afternoon, and then go back and play about 4-6 p.m. Each time we go, we never know quite what to expect. We haven't made it twice every day, with trying to get everything put together--just the details of living--but I think that will make a difference. It's so hard to know what we're supposed to do sometimes. We do the things we think we should, but then there are also the "appearances" things we need to think about. Nataliya (Emma asked her last night how to spell it, and I've been doing it wrong) told us just this morning that for our court date, the judge will ask us what we've been doing with Cole, how we play, how often we visit and how long we stay, what we speak to him, and things like that. So that has me pondering. We obviously are here to do those things, of course, but it made me more aware that we need to be... aware...of perceptions of us.

It's also frustrating because they do things quite differently with him than we would. For example, every time they bring him out to see us, which is the little room right in front of his "area," they bundle him up in several layers--at least 3 every time. With a hat. He looks cute, but in 2 minutes, he's dripping, so we strip him down a bit to cool him off, but then when people come back and forth through the area we're in, they see him stripped down and they bundle him back up. So the perception dilemma--do we let him drip all over himself and us, or do we do what's better for him and cool him off to a more happy medium? It feels like this is kind of always where we live right now. It's hard.

We're working on helping him to see alsothat the snacks that we bring him are for him, that they're not going to disappear, so he doesn't need to eat 6 animal crackers at a time to finish the back ASAP. That was certainly to be expected, but learning the words in Russian for "chew" and other things was certainly necessary for slowing him down! But we're making some progress there, and I think he's starting to trust us more. He's been pretty good with making eye contact with us; he's even initiated it a few times, which has been great.

And then some days he comes out, takes one look at us, and starts to bawl. So it often feels like two steps forward, one step back. But there's always progress, and the other thing is you never know what fun he may have just been ripped away from, either. So we just go with it.

Sizes, many of you have asked. Hm. None of his clothes have tags, and most of them are too big anyway, at least the ones on the outside that we can find. Sleeves rolled up, that kind of thing, which is completely understandable. So we still have no real feel for how big this boy actually is because he's bundled up so much, he looks like the Stay Puff guy. :-) I'm guessing he's a 2T, maybe a 3T, but I'm not really sure yet. He has an impressive belly on him, though. :-)

Things he likes: tickles, cars, and spill and fill (dumping and then filling it back up, over and over and over and over....). Animal crackers, sippy cups minus the lid (yeah, those are just useful to spill and fill--never had to suck something out of a cup, but he's great with drinking out of a cup all by himself), and his Papa. When he gets a big grin, his tongue kind of curls up to the side, which is really cute. I told Trevor it's just like Katie Holmes, but he didn't get it... Cole and Daddy/Papa are getting along really well these days, which is fabulous. I think perhaps because he has so many female caregivers that at this point, I'm kind of just one more. That's fine; I get it. There are lots of things that are like that. The more we get into this, the more I see that this adjustment will really be a gradual thing and that we will have to not expect much of anything, just roll with it, and be glad when do make some progress.

Now here's a word from Emma. Emma, what do you want to say to our friends back home? "I love you. Cole is very happy with me. I'm a good big sister. I hope he has a great time with me when we spend time there and play. Thanks for writing to me!" (Yes, we do read to her the things that you all put in the comments for her.)

We have our court date on either the 25th or 26th--it's uncertain right now, and then it's a 10 business day wait after that, so more like 14 days. We'll be home mid-January, from the way it's looking. Not ideal, but what can you do? Pray. :-) We don't expect anything out of the ordinary, but if something like that DID happen, our own little Christmas miracle, we'd be very grateful.

We just found this internet cafe around the corner from our apartment, so we'll be able to check in a little bit more often and can even do email, so you want to send emails, you can; we just guarantee when we'll get back to you, but we will.

Love you and miss you all!!!!

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

(from Trevor) yeah, what she said! not much to add to that except our bizarre encounter with laundry. i wrote last time about how the cost of most things was pretty cheap. $10 for a cab ride and whatnot. well, our apartment doesn't have a washing machine so we took our laundry out to a place to get it done. it looked pretty much like a dry cleaners but they launder clothing as well. natalyia and the woman were speaking back and forth and we handed over our clothing, piece by piece over the counter so she could inventory it. then natalyia told us the cost. About 400 grivnas! That's $80!!! Would you ever spend $80 to get your laundry done??? We certainly won't be doing it again. We will likely shift to doing it old school in our bathtub. I guess it's the tradeoff of having lunch for four people for $20. The things you learn... Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys! Thank you so much for taking the time to give updates on how things are going! It's been awesome to read each one! I'm so excited for you! And what a blessing to have a family with children nearby! God is so cool!

Emma, Murphy says hi and he wants me to tell you that he can't wait to see you and have you introduce him to your little brother! :-)

Know that all 4 (yes, 4 now) of you are in my prayers! I'm so excited for you! God bless!
--Becky

Anonymous said...

Hi - this is Jim Z. I've lost my username and password so I guess I'll across as anonymous...
Cole sounds great. We'll find plenty of trucks for him to play with on Thursday evenings for Life Group. Lori - don't worry. You'll impress the judge. Trevor - it would probably be cheaper to buy new underwear than doing wash there...
You all take care. Emma - hi!
God Bless!
Jim and Cathy

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys! It sounds like adding a child to your family is not easy, no matter the method. This is truly a labor of love, no matter how long, difficult, or frustrating. Are you keeping a journal? It may be helpful to track how Cole is responding with each visit: what works well; what doesn't; how he responds; what words/phrases he may be using...it may be a good tool for you guys to debrief and learn him by, not to mention a wonderful keepsake about this incredible journey you are on. Have you tried any of the sing songy kids games like ring around the rosy, The Isty Bitsy Spider...? Do you take books to maybe try to read and have some quiet lap time? Just thoughts...

As wild and wooly as this is to you, it is to him as well. He has no concept of who these people with cookies and a little girl keep coming to disrupt HIS day!!! Who knows what is going on in his little mind as his world is changing and he can't figure it out.

I'm sure you are doing fine in the eyes of "Big Brother". You can't force yourself on Cole, or create the perfect anything in the environment you are presently in. I think the agency people know that too. There are most likely tell tale signs they look for that make them put the proverbial red flag up. I doubt you are giving off any questionable signals. Bonding takes time. Remember, God is watching you too, so you will be fine.

Take his clothes off so he doesn't overheat!!! Maybe the main area where he lives is not well heated?????

You are great people...wonderful parents...just look at Emma!!!! Now, that doesn't just happen without work and love, right?!

Hang in there! You guys are doing great! Soon you will get to put on your ruby red slippers and say, "There's no place like home" click click click...that time will be here in a flash...it really will!!!

We love you, are cheering for you, praying for you, it is constant!!!

Hi Emma! Teach Cole some cute little song you sing!!!

Ryan said...

hello friends...again, i don't have much to add beyond anything anyone else has said, but I feel compelled to respond to your blogs in an effort to remain supportive.

Journey was great last night (missed you though...) and we won't (and can't) stop praying for you folks...

Sounds like there's a reasonable amount of pressure on you folks right now. (all that perception stuff) Just remember that the love you show to Cole will probably transcend perception, so go with your gut and God will take care of the rest...just like God always seems to

Tyler said...

Reading these updates always fill our hearts and homes with the warmth that comes from God. It's amazing to hear what you say. We tell all our of friends we meet about you and this "adventure", and the glow just seems to spread.

Rachel and I are praying for you as often as you enter our minds, which, believe me, is quite often. Apparently, we'll add "laundry issues" to the prayer list for you guys!

It was also quite nice to get an update directly from Emma!

We love and miss you guys, and can't wait for the next update!

Anonymous said...

Wow - I finally figured out this whole BLOG thing. I'm really not that computer savy!

It is so exciging to hear your progress. Now I don't have to keep wondering how things are going - I know!! Even though the days may be long now, when you look back, it will seem like a flash. My parents lived in Mexico for three years. My Mom was horribly homesick and couldn't wait to get back. Now she can hardly remember it and even kind of misses it.

I can't wait to meet this little guy. Or at least see a photo. He sounds adorable. I don't know if I caught how old he is.

Well - I have to get back to work - I've been sitting here reading all of the blog stuff and catching up.

Look forward to you next update - we think of you often and how exciting this all is........I do agree that buying new undies is probably cheaper!

Love,
Cathy Z.

P.S. Tell Emma I think she's going to make an awesome big sister!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kids, What a wonderful update. We are praying for you to have a favorable acceptance from the judge. That you all stay well while away. That you have safe travel home. Emma, the Barbie dolls are lonesome for you. We've added some new things to the toy closet too. See you soon. I'm anxious to hear about the food from the Ukraine. Take care and always remember, we love you! S&D

Anonymous said...

Hello to all of you! It is so wonderful reading all about your new precious little guy! I can't wait to meet him and spoil him (and all of you!) I miss you all bunches and can't wait to see you all. I am sure Emma is going to be the best big sister. Can't wait to see her in her new role.

We love you all and can't wait until you get home. Until then, we will be praying for that Christmas miracle!

Love you lots,
Terry and Mary

Anonymous said...

Your updates are so heartfelt -- I love your honesty. On the perception thing, yuck, but here are some thoughts: God has everything already planned for you. You know you are meant to bring your child home with you. So, just follow your hearts. Pray before you go in to see Cole and keep the Lord close when you're in there. We're praying for waiving the waiting period -- our God is big enough for that!

A cool sidenote: Arick has a colleague whose wife is from Russia. Since Cole speaks Russian, she's going to put together a list of Russian resources in the Cincy area that you can tap into. She'd also love to come to dinner sometime and just chat with Cole for fun. :-)

Hang in there, guys!!!! We love you!!!!
Marnie and Arick
P.S. Clean clothes are overrated...

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're in the thick of things right now. Please know that there isn't an hour that goes by without me thinking of you all. For any number of reasons:

1. I see Reece playing with toys and think, "Cole will love to play with these, too."
2. Well, we drive by your house. :)
3. I think of several tiny bits of my day that I'd like to sit and share with you and wonder what bits of your day you'd like to share with me.
4. I know this must be a hard time and I'm reminded of you because God reminds me of you and reminds me to pray for you.

You are in my heart, thoughts and prayers. I love you all and ache for you to be back, not just for selfish reasons, but more for you so you can start to get more settled... it will take time, but Cole can and will feel your love and God's love and know that he is safe and cared for even before you all realize it.

Take care.

Andrea

Anonymous said...

I understand how frusterating this is! But in the long run it will be worth it! Tell Emma that I enjoyed hearing from her!

Anonymous said...

It was wonderful to hear from you again! I'm so glad for the internet, even thought you may feel a world away, i'm still so glad for every update we get! I wish i had some wonderful wisdom to offer you, but well, i don't. So know that you are greatly loved and missed! I hope you are finding time in all of the crazyness to be still and find some peace. I love cole already, and i love each of you very much! I wish there was a way to send hugs on the internet...

Renee

Anonymous said...

It is so awesome that you get to spend time getting to know Cole! You both are going to be awesome parents and Emma is going to be a wonderful sister. You have a lot to be confident of going to the judge, and we will keep praying!!

Sorry the experience with washing your clothing has not been as enjoyable as your cab rides. ;-) I too can not wait to hear about your food experiences. Bring home some recipes to try!! :-)

We continue to pray for your family (all new members included) and a speedy process with the judge. Hope to hear more soon!!!

Anonymous said...

In some countries it is tradition to have a child wear a certain number of layers in clothing during a significant, or turning point in their life. In my research about adoption, it was quite common for children to be overheated because of this tradition. I don't know if that is a tradition in Ukraine but it might be a possible explanation. Maybe your interpretor would be able to find out. Just a thought. Cole sounds adorable!!
~Pauline

Anonymous said...

we miss you guys!!! we read all about what you are going through and just wish and pray you home that much harder! kristen made christmas cookies and pretzels last week and missed lori greatly! we are so glad you are enjoying cole and being so loving and patient as he gets used to all of this newness as well. before you all know it, you will barely be able to remember a time when he wasn't in your lives and the same for him! we keep praying and really enjoy reading your posts even about the daily routine things - it is so exciting for us to hear about your new family member and how all of you are bonding together!
emma - we miss you too! we know you are showing cole how much fun it is to have a sister like you! we are so proud of you because you are such a big girl! :)

Anonymous said...

Hang in there guys! It's Marcia and Rashko. You're experiencing good ole eastern european culture! They bundle Cole up so much because they honestly believe that breezes kill. Even worse, they think that if a breeze hits you while you are sweating, you will immediately get deathly ill. Definitely don't give him anything cold to drink while he is sweating, that's a big no no, and don't take his shoes off because all diseases enter through the feet! I always found it funny that they take such precautions to never come in contact with a breeze, but would never think of washing their hands as a way to prevent illness.

On the laundry thing, hand washing isn't so hard, I did it all by hand for my first year in Bulgaria. Eastern Europeans like to believe that Americans are made of money. After all, that's what it looks like in the movies. You just experienced the "foreigner price" to get your laundry done. Like I said, hand washing isn't so bad.

Also, keep in mind that the perception thing goes both ways. Yes, you are under the microscope. However, they are also trying to put on a show for you. The last thing they want is for you to leave without a child. They know the best place for Cole is with you. They also know that they can't take care of him as well as you can. Even though you said it appears that he has been loved, that's what they want you to think. They wouldn't want you to think that they don't have the time or money for a child, but the fact is that they just don't. The orphanages are overburdened and they need you.

Again, hang in there! You guys really are doing great! I can't think of anyone that could handle all this as well as you guys! Being there only a month, you won't get the chance to move past culture shock, so just keep doing what you are doing and roll with it. Cole will be fine. Being loved is not familiar to him right now, but he'll get used to it!

See you soon! Marcia and Rashko

Anonymous said...

Lori and Trevor,
I just realizrd that your journey with the adoption is very similar to Mary's journey with Jesus. She too was a t a time that she had no idea what to expect and was scared about having her child. Also when they got to Bethlehem here Jesus was to be born they faced obstacles as well. Continue to have a super time and you will remain in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

Mom and Dad say:
This is just like a suspense novel with everyone's reviews included. Remember child birth Lori? This,too, will someday be in the distant past with only the great memories being the significant ones. I'm sure Cole will know he is loved and the judge will,too. Prayers will of course be with you all. We love your choice of names and hang in there. We're all looking forward to the next chapter (and pictures,too). As to laundry-find some nice smelling soap!
Emma, Grammie and Grampie say "hi" and love you!

Anonymous said...

Do they sell febreeze in the Ukraine and Matt says you can always turn your clothes inside out and get even more uses out of them!
We continue to read with great anticipation! We really miss you guys and can't wait for you to return!! We know God has great things planned for you and feel so blessed that we can be part of it and keep tabs on you so easily! :)
Tell Emma that Matt and I and Choppenhour miss her!

Anonymous said...

Great to hear about cole and emma is going to be a great sister. can't wait to see ur happy family when you come back. Well still praying for you all and wishing you a great christmas miracle. Well gtg and hope to hear more great news. -lan-

Anonymous said...

Good morning! Such beautiful words of encouragement from your friends and families. You are so blessed! Praying for you and your beautiful family to be. Emma, sing a little song to Cole and see what he does. You have a beautiful voice. Can't wait to see you guys again. Trevor, the longer you wear those jeans the better they feel, ha! Love, S&D

Anonymous said...

Sure appreciating and enjoying all the updates you send and the comments from here. What an experience you are having that you will long remember. Are you adopting or being adopted? Each day brings the miracle closer, even though it must be exhausting both mentally and physically. We are all praying that all goes well and all 4 will be home soon. Love you all. Barbie Man

Anonymous said...

Hey there Lori, Trevor and Emma! I've been keeping up with "labor" and just think it's so neat that you can use the blog to keep everyone informed. As I'm still recovering from surgery and really can't do much, the thing I can do and am doing is praying for all you and little Cole. What a major change for all of you, but such a huge blessing too! Hang in there and enjoy the ride God has you on. Love Pam
p.s. Nicole wanted to know if Emma remembered how she use to call Nicole "Cole"?

Anonymous said...

Hello to the Wrights. I have enjoyed your messages. At lunch at Waffle House just now, I asked Don how he thought you were doing, so I cam right home and found out!! I hope you are taking pictures of where you are -- apartment, the orphanage, and of course, Cole. Twenty two months is a long 'pregnancy', huh Lori? Without the big clothes.
Have you heard that our daughter Alice is now pregnant with TRIPLETS? They had tried invitro fertilization once and it didn't work. This time the doctor suggested implanting 3 embryos, to make sure they got at least one to attach. Well, it sure worked ! They have had several ultra-sounds and sure enough we see 3 little sacks. In January they find out the genders. I plan to be up there -- Detroit -- for that event. Alice is doing well, but is very tired. She is still working but the Dr will stop that in late January. She has an active job -- teaching blind people to use their canes and get confident in their mobility. She loves her job, but doing that too long could get dangerous for her little ones. Delivery should be spring, hopefully April.
Well, we think about and pray for you often and look forward to SEEING you. Can you hug your little Cole yet? How does he respond? Later...Leah and DOn

Anonymous said...

I just can't wait for an update! We read every day (we check every few hours!) and are constantly praying for the 4 of you. We can't even imagine what you're going through, but thankfully we can pray. We hope your visits with Cole are gradually getting better. We know that he'll grow to love you in no time!
Love, Ben, Mandy, & Abbie

Anonymous said...

Ooo, what exciting news to have a brand new 2 year old! It must be something... to be doing that precarious dance of loving him, yet not mushing him with your love. I can't wait to meet him. ...Kristy.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori...I've had such fun reading this and am thinking about all of you!! I can't wait to meet Cole - he sounds adorable. I'm so glad this is all finally coming together for all of you...it brings tears to my eyes because I'm so excited for you! I'll keep praying for smooth transitions. Love, Rick and Susan J.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kids, Quilt class this morning. Everythings wrapped, the cook is tired, Santa is doing b-ball games, pray we pull the holiday together, ha! I miss you guys so much. I know we enjoyed our own little Christmas but it just isn't the same as when you're here. Trevor, I'm going to make some more cookies and I'll think of you while icing them. Take care and remember you're loved by many and prayed for by even more. Give Emma a hug from Grammy and tell her we'll bake bread when she returns. Love you all, S&D

Anonymous said...

Hi Kids, This is Saturday and I see there's no message from you. I miss that! I hope you got to see Cole and that he is feeling better. There is some yucky stuff going around here and it's no wonder as it's been rainy and turning colder. There is a slim chance for snow. We'll be going to Christmas Eve services and Niki and Jason will be joining us. Niki has developed diabetes and will only be here one night and Christmas day. My lists of things to do is getting shorter, thanks to Dick. Our neighbor, Bud, is about to his lifes end. Jane is sad and feels very helpless. I'll have to be strong for her but it's going to be difficult. We're praying long and hard for you guys and can't wait to say the prayer for your safety home. Love, Grammy Sharon