Thursday, December 21, 2006

Lazy Day

Hi there! It's Lori. Not much new since yesterday, but here are a few thoughts.

Rachel, could you pass this on to Emma's class for her? :-) "Class, I miss you. I have a special brother named Cole. He speaks Russian, and he's two. If we want him to sit down, we say 'soondis.' And chew chew is 'joo-ey.' We tell him to chew because he takes a full hand of crackers and puts them all in his mouth. So that's why we say chew chew. But he's getting better at it. And we got a bottle water here that had bubbles in it like pop. It was really yucky! Very bad. We have a lady who helps us talk Russian and understand things, and we went on a train with her. She's gone today, and I miss her. She's really fun; we color at the orphanage, and she's really good at it. She's an artiste! :-) I miss Mrs. Christopher because I love her. Hi Mrs. Christopher!"

We've actually been in a couple of taxis that have nitrous kits. Carol, those are for going really fast, like for street racing. But the funny part is that because of the lack of space in Europe at all, everyone's cars are the size of like a Ford Escort or smaller--all compacts. So it always makes us chuckle when a Ford Focus pulls up and it had a big 'ol exhaust pipe--almost always a dead give away that inside, we'll see that special gauge for rpms or whatever that's connected with the nitrous kit, and if we have STUFF, then we're extra lucky--we get to SEE the nitrous kit in the trunk. Haha!

We slept in this morning, and I did some serious laundry. I kind of have to do it in shifts. Our landlord brought a cleaning lady yesterday, since we're staying here so long, so I took advantage of the clean "tub" (it's a shower stall with a basin big enought to plug and fill a little) and washed clothes last night and then again this morning before we got in it and dirtied it, but the limiting factor is the space to be able to hang them up in the shower stall and let them drip dry before we set them on the registers to finish drying. Once they're on the registers, they dry fast. So that's it for a while. We're going to turn them inside out before I wash them again! ;-)

Some of you have asked about food... A lot of it's the same. The produce doesn't offer nearly the selection that Kroger does, but it's certainly enough. Emma has finally discovered the joy of mashed potatoes, so that makes life easier. So a typical meal cooked "in" is ham, mashed potatoes and cooked carrots. Or spaghetti. And then if we eat out, we often go to McDonald's, but if we go someplace else, so far we've gone pretty much to "La Boulangerie," which is French for bakery, but it's just a nice, regular restaurant that's not too expensive. Trevor and I have Meatballs A la Kiev, which is chicken patties that are not breaded but frie in a thin layer of egg--very good--which some little mashed potato fry things that are kind of like the smiley fries, and cole slaw. Emma gets a cheese pizza. Otherwise, it's a double cheeseburger and fries or McNuggets.

I called Nataliya to see if she could call the orphanage and check on Cole, just to see how he's doing today. Since we don't get to see him, I have no way of knowing how he is, if he's any bettter yet, if he's worse, etc. And of course any mother wants to know those things. I'd rather we had him, but you know....

I finished reading a book by Don Miller, for all you "Jazzers" out there. This is the prequel to "Blue Like Jazz;" it's "Through Painted Desserts," and it's the road trip he takes with his friend Paul. I know he refers in "Blue Like Jazz" to Paul as "Paul the _____", but I can't remember what that ______ is. Do any of you Jazzers remember? Or could someone look it up? And also, is Paul married to Danielle? I think so, but they meet in this book. It's frustrating that I can't look these things up, since I ponder his musings on and off throughout the day!

Okay, could someone also look up for me metric equivalents for kids clothing if you have a chance? The only tag I saw on Cole said "92", but the metric chart I brought doesn't go that small. I'm still confident he's in a 2T or 3T, but of course I'd really rather know than guess; I'm sure you understand. :-) So if you have time on your hands or expertise in this area, give me a shout out!

Okay, all for now. Keep up the love and prayers--they really make a difference!!!! We love you all and can't wait to see you again.

Love,
Lori

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

From what I can find quickly, size 98 is a US size 3, so maybe Cole is a 2T? I can't remember the Blue Like Jazz info and I'm not sure we still have the book. I'll look for it.

I'll let Kevin know to pass on the message from Emma to her class.

Have a blessed day!
Rachel F.

Anonymous said...

I hope & pray that Cole is feeling better today so that he can see his new family! :) I can't even imagine how difficult it must be to be away from him.
Blue Like Jazz: Paul is married to Danielle. And Don lived with them for awhile after they got married. I can't find any mention of Paul being called Paul the ____. Are you thinking of Tony the Beat Poet?
I'm praying that you'll get to see Cole soon!
Love,
Mandy

Anonymous said...

just a quick note to tell you that we prayed for you at prayer breakfast and after i've given an update to all my kids that you met at sabbath, they get very excited for you and now want to meet cole at this year's retreat. the conversation may or may not have started with some discussion on yoga :)
love you both, enjoy the days of exploring a new culture and new way of life... i'm sure cole will someday ask about the adoption and you'll have all kinds of stories to tell him about how you learned about his heritage, gaseous water and all.
i'm sorry to say that Jazz has been hijacked from my library from a student, i can't look it up. sorry. i'm anxious to hear about all your readings when you get home. i finished wicked on the cruise and i thought it was fabulous.
love you guys. miss you bunches.
michele (and jj)

Anonymous said...

Lori, I want to wish you an early Happy Birthday and the very bestest birthday present ever. Tell Emma I have lotsa new bubble wrap that desparately needs flattened. Hope Trevor is enjoying the idea of another male in the family so he won't always be outvoted. Keep kidding yourself, it don't work that way. Love all of you. Barbie man.

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys!

Thanks for the updates and car info! Now I am in the know! What good it does me??? Maybe that will be the final Jeopardy Answer someday and I will win and split my winnings with you!!!!

92 = size 2 as far as I could figure. The equivalency chart listed the European Numbers, i.e., 92 and then an age...2. So, 2T would probably be it!!!

I bet Emma's friends at school really miss her too as does her wonderful teacher!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kids, Taking my neighbor, Jane, to lunch today. Her husband, Bud, is still at Heritage and not doing well. He now weighs 116 lbs. If I can give her a little enjoyment at this stage of life I'm happy to do it. That was a sweet letter Emma sent to her class. She's just so precious. You take care and we'll continue praying for you and an early return. Stay well, God will take care of all of you including little Cole. I just love his name! Grammy Sharon

Anonymous said...

Hey, guys. Wanted to pass on what I think is the resolution to the portable DVD player story. (Thank you to Marcia and Roshko for saving the day!) We did buy the adaptor for it and have successfully charged the battery, but then went to try to charge the extra battery you got on eBay and it doesn't fit. SO, our theory -- the Lord knew that and worked through us to borrow your neighbor's so you'd more than one battery.

Let us know how Cole is doing. We're heading to FL tonight and will miss you there terribly. Love you guys.
Marnie & Arick

Anonymous said...

Oh, my gosh! The Lord works in wonderful ways and Cole certainly looks like he belongs to you. Love, Grammy Sharon

Anonymous said...

Cole is such a doll! I can now show his picture to my friend Natalie when she comes over tomorrow! She and my other frinds at AW have been heard about you guys and are also sooooo excited for you! I'm so happy for you guys! Still praying! And I hope Cole is better! He will be soon!

Anonymous said...

That is one adorable son God has given you. I'm pretty partial to 2 year old little boys right now too, so I can imagine your elation with the world of boys and trucks and balls. What an experience of a lifetime! I know being in a foreign country can seem lonely and sometimes long, but home is just around the corner. I'm so very happy for you guys and Emma. Emma, Carson says that having a little brother can be annoying, but she still loves him.

Love,
Brian, Stacy, Carson, Hailey and Rylar

P.S. I almost forgot about your birthday at the end of the month, Lori. Have a great one!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Cole is so adorable...He lookes just like emma, espicially his nose and his eyes. Precious...Lori,Paul is the guy that lived in the woods with don.. they were sort of hippies...But i don't see him called "Paul the anything.." hope that helped...
~Renee

Anonymous said...

Cole is absolutly precious. He looks just like Emma, espiciall his nose and his eyes. Which means he is adorable just like Emma.
Paul is the guy that goes and lives in the woods with Don. They lived with "sort of hippies" but i can't find him called "paul the..." anything...Hope that helps!
~Renee

Anonymous said...

oh dear.. i'm sorry.. i wrote sort of the same thing twice... sorry my computer got very confused ... well... yup i guess i just love you extra twice...

Anonymous said...

hey!
love hearing abt all ur adventures in kiev! cole sounds like a sweetheart! hi emma--are you having a good time?
Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

hey great to hear new things about your trip. Hope Cole gets better and well still praying for you. can't wait to see the happy family come back home. miss you lots and say hi to emma. Well still wishing you the best blessing that god has given you and to continue. well gtg, miss you all.
-Lan-