How have we neglected our mission as followers of Jesus? Does this cause us to resent those who fulfill the mission?Great discussion tonight. Let's continue our thoughts here...
What “word” might set us off like the Jews? Where do we ungraciously draw the line?
What other questions or insights does this raise?
Sunday, November 04, 2007
Acts 21:37-22:30
Acts 21:37-22:30. We're straddling two chapters here. We continued the story of Paul's arrest in Jerusalem which we saw in the first part of chapter 21. Here Paul addresses the crowd and incites another riot. In the midst of this we see the Jews get ticked off. It all stems from verse 21. Listen to the podcast for more background on the story. Here's what we talked about:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Just a comment on how wonderful the discussion was Sunday evening. It was interesting to observe the emotions created by the church that protested at the soldier's funeral. There was a level of indignation at their actions that elevated fairly quickly. It kind of reflects back on my comment that I think it's okay to be indignant or intolerant of someone's actions - when they ought to know what is right and wrong. Jesus was compasionate with sinners, and brought them around to following him. He was less tolerant of those in authority who "ought to know better." I think it's okay for us to use that same standard.
Jim Z
I agree with Jim's post. Well said....
I have been thinking since Sunday of different words that set Christians off today.
Homosexual
Atheist
Alcohol
Teen pregnancy
Sex
Abortion
War
(There are many more...)
What strikes me is that these have all seemed to be turned into "causes" which tend to take away the human element. We are called to love people, not love a cause and I think when Christians, or non-Christians for that matter, get bogged down in their "cause" they can easily forget how to love a person who is affected by their "cause."
There is even a different level or "words" or "causes" that can invoke the same reaction in individual churches:
carpet color, style of music, time of worship, how long worship lasts, whether we change the time of Sunday school.....
I want Journey to be a refreshing place where we can work through and talk openly about the "words" that have caused people to react poorly in the past. And I want us to truly look at what Jesus said and did to find our guidance.
Post a Comment