Sunday, December 02, 2007

Acts 27

Acts 27. Give this chapter a read through. Just when you think that nothing more could happen to Paul, here he ends up in a storm at sea that threatens to shipwreck he and the crew. Here are the points that we talked about after the teaching time:

Paul spoke wisdom and experience to the crew. Foolishness prevailed. Do you blame God, or ask God why things are happening after having failed to listen to wisdom? Do you seek out wisdom from the right places?

Are you able to give thanks in all circumstance? Do you remember in all circumstances that you are God’s and that is who you serve?

Are we a voice of encouragement and a vessel of God’s message to the people around us?

God could have calmed the storm but didn’t. Still, God kept His promise. Often our experiences are the result of our choices or the choices of the people around us.
Please chime in and continue the conversation here.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Honestly, I felt uncomfortable listening to this chapter, and discussion.
It felt like I was being tossed around, and I still feel tossed around. I feel "lost at sea."
I know that some of this is from my choices. That struck something within me. I have to deal with my choices. However, how does one deal with when the choices are others?
More questions, than answers, I guess...

Ryan said...

But Megan...they're good questions :)

My neighbor has three dogs. Two of them are constantly out running around the neighborhood, pooping in people's yards (namely mine), barking at kids, going through people's trash.

It makes me mad.

But I have to let go of it, because if I allow myself to go crazy over the stuff I have no choice in, namely how these neighbors are (or aren't) caring for their dogs, I'll go batty.

The question for me is what happens if one of the dog bites my boy or something. Then it's time to intervene, right?

My hunch is that the choice of others have bitten all of us at some time or another. That's when we have to be a bit more confrontational that we'd like to be...

Or we shoot the dog :)

Either way, we have to trust that if we do our part, that God will do God's...not an easy one to do all the time because we don't always know what God's part will end up looking like. We're comfy with ours because we get to do it...letting go of the reigns has always been the toughy...

Megan said...

So when did I write that?
Cause I so got bitten.
Having a semi run into you teaches you a lot about the choices of others...
Ha. Someday I'll laugh I guess. Poor Hal won't ever laugh again, though...
(Hal's my car, for those of you unenlightened.)