I just read an article on cnn.com about t the bridge collapsing in Minneapolis. The article talked about a man who had already had a brush with death in his past and now almost drove off the bridge. The man's mother said, "God and the Virgin Mary saved my son, because otherwise he would have tumbled into the water with all the other cars," . I guess the same old question arises...why him and not the others. Was God looking out for this man and not the others? Was he looking out for all of them? I don't know. I'm sure it grieves him completely for each person affected. It conjures up memories of the bus crash that killed some Bluffton baseball players and left others unharmed. We'll never know. It certainly makes me cautious to say something like this woman said, though. I can't imagine that it helps anyone else in their view of God-those who lost a loved one in the event, even though it sustains her in her faith.
I'm not necessarily looking for reactions...just thinking. Whatever. Post if you want to.
Friday, August 03, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Yea, I struggle with this too. I agree with you 100% and yet we know that God DOES intervene, that we are not deist. Great thoughts.
I just read another article about some of the victims of the tragedy. One said, "How can this happen? God can be so cruel." There's the other perspective and I doubt that this person would see eye to eye with the aforementioned mother. :-\
I feel the same way Trevor. I just dont't get it. Like I keep telling myself that God has a time for each of us to die and go home to him, but why so early for some people, or why go in such a horrible way like this bridge thing or with the bluffton boys. i dont know what to think. it seems lately there have been so many tradgies with VT and bluffton and now this...why?
-Molli
i did anonymous because i cant remember the pass word to my blog thing here lol
I read this article today:
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/08/04/ap3987639.html
I hope you can get to it from that link. The gist of the article is that so many more people could/should have died but it seems that there were these things that kept that from happening: everything from the bridge design to the drought they were having. It is an interesting question to ask: "Does God restrain evil/ tragedy... and how much more would there be if God didn't." (The concept of "common" or "prevenient" grace.)
But I struggle with those questions too Molli, I think any thinking person does. But as long as there is sin in this world, as long as this isn't heaven, I'm not sure what other alternative there is but that bad things happen.
I thought this was interesting...
http://emergingumc.blogspot.com/2007/08/people-who-did-not-cross-i-35-w-bridge.html
Post a Comment