Barnabas knew his limits and went off to get Saul. Do we know our limits? Are you stuck in the rut of trying to be all things to all people? Can an entire church function that way and be healthy?What do you think? Do you have thoughts on thsese questions? Where are you living in the text adn what is causing you to stop and think? Let's continue our discussion time...
The believers’ prior experience told the believers that they should behave and interact one way with Gentiles; the Spirit prompted another, and it was acted on. Where are the places our previous experiences hold us back? How can we work at pushing past them and heading down the paths that God is leading down?
Monday, August 13, 2007
Acts 11
This past Sunday we talked at Journey about Acts 11. Ryan did a great job of walking us through the text. We saw the further development of the church. We saw the development of leaders in the church. We saw the contrast between the he church being open to what God is doing and not being open. Here were two of the thought s that Ryan led us toward as we embarked on our discussion time:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
It an interesting question to ask if an entire church can function that way and be healthy. You seemed to ask it on a individual level, but I would argue most congregations (the organism) try to be all things to all people. They do too much. I think we have enough time and energy to do what God is calling us to do... but often give more than that. (Podcasts are a wonderful thing! I have a church community while I'm on sabbatical!)
I just want to say that the Care Bear analogy may have been the greatest analogy in the history of jOURney, and Ryan's had a few good ones (Golden Corral comes to mind). The thought of Ryan running around with a golden guitar on his tummy is just way, way too entertaining to me.
I'll try to get serious thoughts up later.
For those wondering what TYler is talking about, the context was regarding Barnabas being such an encourager, to such a great extent that that's what his name means. The analogy was to the effect that he actually wore his role in his name. What if we all did? What if we were functioning fully as we were created and it was obvious. It would be like the Care Bears whose identity was found on their tummy. Sunshine Bear and whatnot. Great picture. Thanks for the analogy, Holly! What if it was obvious the role that God had given to each of us? What if we wore it clearly and proudly?
thanks for pushing the question out more, Paul! In my mind, I had asked it of the individual and the entire body as well...but I didn't get it out quite right.
I agree with you though, and it was a point I gleaned from the text, that both churches and people tend to try to all things to all people, and while we all know it's true that all God's creatures have a place in the choir, we may be well served to think of churches that way too. Better that than them looking at themselves as little 'choirs.'
Post a Comment