Is this a story about pride and human accomplishment?What are your thoughts? Chime in...
Is it a story about isolationism and not following God’s command in Genesis 9:1?
Is it a story about homogeneity vs. diversity?
Is it a story of God continuing the spread of humanity and preventing pre-flood conditions?
If a group has an isolationist mentality with complete unity of mind, does this create some danger for society and the world?
What does this mean for the church that is sometimes isolationist in the name of unity, all the while the church in scripture is being called to unity and mission?
Isolationism is in conflict with Matthew 28:18-20. Following this scripture we see Acts 2 (Pentecost) and the use of language to further the message of Jesus to all parts of the world.
Sunday, June 01, 2008
Genesis 11
Tonight we talked about Gen 11, but only the first section b/c the section following is a bunch of genealogy stuff. The podcast messed up so there's no audio. Sorry. Read through the scripture and then check these thoughts. Some are things that I'm not necessarily convinced of, but they are thoughts to start off with...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I just thought of this...it can be either terrifying or kinda cool...Verse 5 says:
"But the LORD came down to see the city and the tower that the men were building."
Sharon told me that she thinks that's kinda neat because God cared so much for them that he interacted with them and was first-handedly looking out for them.
That's one option.
Another is, maybe they were basically scared out of their minds. Maybe they were thinking "Oh crap. Now we did it. Here comes God."
What if we thought with that mindset 24/7? Thinking, "what would I think if God came down and stood right by me right this instant?" It puts things in a whole new light. We can sit here and say, "but god is all knowing and is always watching us so it's no different." But I think maybe we're somewhat numb to that. I know I forget sometimes that God is always watching. And that there are many times when I would be embarrassed if God walked in.
Post a Comment