I've been reading Blue Like Jazz lately and I came across a great quote on page 185. He relays a story about a man who owned a bed and breakfast and tirelessly served the guests. Don asked him how he does it day in and day out. He replied, "Don, if we are not willing to wake up in the morning and die to ourselves, perhaps we should ask ourselves whether or not we are really following Jesus."
Wow. There's a thought provoking sentence. I confess that I am incredibly selfish. I regularly wonder why life isn't about me. Why can't it be about me? Why can't I have mine? Why can't... I'm selfish. Perhaps I should ask myself whether or not I am really following Jesus. He was not selfish...far from it. If I'm following Jesus then I need to be becoming more like Him. John the Baptist referred to Jesus and said, "He must become greater and I must become less." (That's my paraphrase) We need to follow that approach to life.
Our statements from work camp a few years ago: It's not about me. I will choose joy. When in doubt, keep on loving.
Bible Discussion group at our house tonight at 7:00. Worship Gathering at 5:30 pm on Sunday at the church.
Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment